Sunday, February 22, 2009

Goodbye, Shea Stadium

Citi Field from the NY Mets website


Pictures of Citi Field I took yesterday while we were driving by (I wasn't driving, of course. :) )


Yesterday we went to the New York Hall of Science in Flushing, NY. I'll write more about that in another post. On the way there, we passed Citi Field, next to where Shea Stadium used to stand. It was very sad. It's a huge, beautiful stadium, much larger than Shea, but it sits 15,333 fewer people. I wonder if we'll even be able to afford to take our kids to a ballgame anymore since the entire stadium is all upscale from having more luxury boxes to serving upscale luxury food. I really don't need to eat sushi at a ballgame. The whole idea of a family outing seems to be lost. I hate that the stadium is named for a bank and not a person, and money dictates everything these days (if you want to buy stock for Citibank, it's under two bucks a share).

I have forged many memories at Shea, having attended games with family and friends for years. I brought my son to his first baseball game at Shea. Our family used to have an annual get together at Shea. When I was in high school, I was in the marching band, and we played at Shea.

Goodbye, Shea Stadium. Thanks for all the great memories.







No comments: