Thursday, February 5, 2009

Adapting to a Different Type of Winter with Lots and Lots of Ice

Yaktrax walker traction device

The view out our front door of beautiful snowy woods.
My cousin just loves winter, even though she has to chop up ice on a driveway that may as well be a private road. God bless her. I don't hate winter, but I don't like ice one bit because I am a perpetual klutz and have visited the emergency room more times than I can count. Ice scares me. Driving in snow and ice is scary too.
I grew up in Queens and then lived on Long Island for several years, and for the most part, as soon as it started to snow, or even before, the roads were salted and sanded, and driving wasn't too bad. Stores made sure there was no snow or ice on the sidewalk or near the entrance, and parking lots were pretty clear. I was spoiled. Although some places are cleared up here, the roads are not generally plowed, salted, or sanded right away, and some of them don't get done for days. Even roads that are busy. The spaces in between parking spaces are covered with ice. There is ice on the ramps for wheelchairs in parking lots. There is ice in front of stores. Everywhere, there is ice.
As we have moved up state from "the city", we are viewed as interlopers. But, we're bound and determined to assimilate, acclimate, and adapt. We came here because we love it and wanted to get away from "the city", not because we wanted upstate to be like the city...we do NOT!!! So, even though I'm sure I sound whiny, I'm sure that soon I'll be laughing at newbies trying to drive without snow tires and walk on ice in shoes without good traction. I think I'll start now...HA HA HA!!!!!
Now, on a positive note, I'm never one bit surprised by the ice. I broke my ankle down in Queens because I slipped on a surprise piece of ice. Here, the ice is everywhere all the time, and in two years, I haven't once slipped. And, my poor son slips all over the place all the time, so it is ironic and terrifying that I, the perpetual klutz who has been to the emergency room more times than I can count, has to hold him up...and I have!
Also on a very positive note, there's almost always snow on the ground all winter long. Down on Long Island, things look dead and dreary because it's more temperate there, and the snow melts. Here, everything looks perpetually pretty. I don't mind the cold. I usually don't even have my coat closed. But, oh, the ice. I'm afraid to take them for a walk or go to the playground, because everything is covered with ice. It makes the options for playing outside very limited. Since my son is hyperactive, it can make staying indoors very difficult.
But I will adapt. My husband doesn't really need to adapt, because he's part cat. He never falls. No matter how slippery something is, or if he's standing on roller blades for the first time, he's right at home and can jump and do anything he wants. He's amazing.
My Mom got me these nifty rubber things to put on my shoes that have cleats on them and give lots of traction for the ice. They work pretty well, but the cleats are only on the toes, and they're very uncomfortable when you're walking. I saw a different pair that I may get called Yaktrax. They have coils wrapped around crosswise over the toe and heel. The spiky ones are great to keep in the car because I won't have to walk up and down the stairs or on my linoleum with them, and the others will be great for walking to the bus. Other than the ice and that it can be difficult to drive in the snow, I don't think there's anything I don't like about being upstate. I think about people who have to learn to do things in different ways because of disabilities, so I think I can learn to do things in a different way and learn to love, or at least be at peace with the ice.

1 comment:

Yaktrax Services said...

Hi Kristine,

I work for Yaktrax and would love to send you a pair to try out and perhaps share your review on your blog. Just email me your shoe size and mailing address to yaktrax.experience [at] gmail.com and we'll get a pair out to you!

Happy Trails,
Carolyn