Tuesday, November 3, 2009

This wasn't marketed as a sled, but...

But my son has a great imagination when it comes to using his toys for purposes the manufacturers could never have imagined. Thank God there are no stairs in our home.
Tonight was one of those nights. My son was sent home sick from school yet again, and I'm sick. So, my patience is not all it could be, and oh boy, was my son an imp today.

As an aside, my daughter is teething, and she still nurses, so she teethes on me, which is VERY painful! She also likes to pinch me, which I am trying to stop. As you may know from reading previous posts, my son has an obsession with hitting me continuously in the head and saying, "boing". So tonight, I was being simultaneously hit, pinched, and bitten, despite my best attempts to stop this behavior, and I lost it. So, I did what I always do when I lose it. My daughter went in her crib, my son went in his room, and I went out on the terrace and closed the sliding glass door and breathed.

That wasn't the end though. My daughter is pretty easy and was absolutely traumatized by being separated from me, so the biting and pinching stopped. However, my son's behavior only elevated. He eventually started hauling his driving toy up onto the couch and then sledding off onto the floor. I was pretty sure he was going to kill himself, and so back into his room he went. As I've written before, ignoring my son's bad behavior does not help one bit. By this time, I was expecting his father home any moment, thank goodness.

My husband came home, and because he is a wonderful husband, he took care of the kids while I cooked dinner and did a Jumble puzzle to remove myself from the situation. After dinner, we went for a drive because I had to get out. We went out for ice cream and we voted. That helped tremendously. By the time we came home, it was time for the kids to go to bed.

I hope tomorrow is a better day.

No comments: