Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Adenoid Surgery Tomorrow

Adenoid diagram copied from here.

My son is having his adenoids out tomorrow and getting tubes put into his ear drums. I'm sure it will be fine, but of course, I'm nervous. I'm always concerned about the anaesthesia. This will be my son's second surgery this year. Poor kid. The last surgery went really well, and I hope this one does too. I set my cell phone alarm to go off during the night so that I give him his pain meds throughout the night so he doesn't wake in pain. I did this for the first two nights with the last operation...I see how his pain is during the day to gauge when to stop getting up through the night. This operation may be more painful...I really don't know. I hope not. I hope he'll do fine, and I'll be very happy to have it all over with.

The most difficult thing is that I don't know what he does and doesn't understand. I tell it like a very simple story...Mommy and Daddy are going to be home when you get up tomorrow. You're going to get to take a ride in Daddy's car with your pajamas on. We'll be driving to the hospital. Grandma will be there waiting for us! We'll wait our turn, and then the nurse will call us in and you and Mommy will dress in special pajamas. Then you're going to take a special nap. The doctor will put a mask over your face, and it will feel like your nebulizer. It will make you very sleepy. Mommy will be with you the entire time. When you wake up from your special nap, Mommy will be there. You're going to have a boo-boo in your nose and mouth. Mommy is going to give you medicine and hold you all day to make you feel better.

Storytelling usually works well with my son when I'm trying to prepare him for a new experience, so hopefully, it will work this time too. I never know how much he understands, but he seems to understand a lot, so I assume that he's getting it all.

I went to the dentist today because I thought I needed to have a cavity filled, but I just have a sensitive tooth. Hurray!

My ex brother in law had a very serious surgery yesterday, and he came through well, and I'm very grateful for that too. So, hopefully, my son's surgery will be thing number three that goes well.
Please say a prayer!

2 comments:

The Dicobs said...

You are all in our thoughts and prayers tomorrow!! Let me know if you need anything :)

Kristine said...

Thank you so much!