Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My First Acorn Squash

Acorn Squash Acorn Squash cut and prepared a-la-Paula Deen

Acorn Squash look like flowers when they're cut in half...so pretty!

Baked acorn squash...delicious!

Tonight I cooked and ate my first acorn squash, and I must report that I and my husband both thought it was delicious!

The squash really did look like an acorn before I cut it, and then like flowers after it was cut in half. I got a recipe from Paula Deen (who manages to make a vegetable 9 points), and wound up only using about half the ingredients...the recipe calls for cutting a squash in half, scooping out the seeds, and then brushing the halves with 2 tbs. softened butter mixed with 2 tbs. brown sugar, and 2 tbs. maple syrup. So, we each had 4.5 points of vitamin A, but the squash was so lovely that I think it would have been delicious with less or no sugar.

Our fridge is chock full of vitamin A...we have sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, and we had the acorn squash too...November should be good vision month! :)

No comments: