Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ignoring Unwanted Behavior Doesn't Always Stop the Unwanted Behavior


My son will keep escalating his behavior no matter how much I ignore him, until it is impossible to ignore him because he's close to being seriously injured.

Today was a difficult day. It was very windy outside, so we couldn't even go out for a walk, and my son is too sick to take anywhere indoors, so we were stuck in our small apartment.

Besides aggression today and his OCD tendency to hit me repeatedly in the head and say, "boing", my son was in climbing mode. No matter what I did, how much patience, how many different positive ways I tried to tell him to stop, to stay on the ground, keep his feet on the ground, he needed to get down, he kept climbing onto the top of the rocking chair. My son does not have good balance, and falls easily, so I'm afraid he will fall and get hurt. After hours of failed attempts at getting him to stop all the naughty things he was doing all day, I gave up and ignored him. This might be enough to stop some children. Not mine.

This resulted in him wrestling his ride-on school bus to the top of the rocking chair, and then proceeding to sit up on top of the bus on the back of the chair. He then proceeded to try to get my pictures off the wall. He almost succeeded in getting one off, and then he started trying to knock down the very large, very heavy, glass covered picture, and that was when I gave up on the notion that ignoring him might get him to stop. Thankfully, his father came home shortly afterwards. The behavior continued until bedtime. I hope tomorrow is a better day.

No comments: