Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Hi Mama!

Every day when my son gets off the school bus, I say hello, and I ask him how his day at school was. He is busy looking at the light on the steps of the bus, and the lever used to open and close the doors. While we're walking into our building and up the stairs, I ask him about his day...did he have music? Did he read a story today? Did he have arts and crafts? Did he play outside today? I give him time to answer, but he never does.
It's disheartening. He doesn't say hello or goodbye unless I cue him to.
This morning, I was talking to the bus driver and matron, and I said, "One day when he comes home, he'll say, 'Hi Mama". And my son said, "Hi Mama." It was very cute. But I know that he was just repeating what I said, since the right thing to say would have been bye bye, as I was getting off the bus and he was on his way to school. It was cute, though.
I hope that one day he will say hello and goodbye and I love you without just repeating. I hope.
And I hope he'll be potty trained and start to eat. Nearly five years of washing bottle parts and changing diapers is a long time. He can't help it. He gets lots of therapy for eating, and we're working on potty training. Sometimes he still urinates when we're changing him for the tub, and is surprised that something is coming out...there's just no awareness.
Well, time, patience, and love...time, patience and love.

No comments: