Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Assimilation to the Northern Climate




I know that to some people, where I live is considered downstate New York, but from where I grew up in "the city", it's upstate New York, and there are some major differences I've experienced living here, especially in the winter. There is no plowing or salting until there is a considerable amount of snow on the ground, which makes driving conditions treacherous immediately. There is considerably more ice up here, and it stays colder longer because there's no sea breeze to melt the snow and ice. It is hilly. All these things combined can make it difficult to get around in the winter, especially with a front wheel drive car. My husband almost got stuck at work because he couldn't make it up the hills in the snow to get home, and he had to take the train home...then he had trouble getting home from the train station, and I couldn't help him. Just walking around is really difficult, and the ice isn't even cleared from the fronts of stores or parking lots. So, we've made some adjustments after living here through two winters (yes, it took us that long LOL). We don't have the money to go out and get four wheel drive vehicles, and we have no place to store snow tires, so those were not options. So, I did some research, and I found reasonably priced, well reviewed tire chains that go on quickly and easily (supposedly), and come off quickly and easily, and can be stored right in the car. Also, I got Yak Trax last year (you can read my experience with this HIGHLY recommended product here), and got two pairs for my husband too. I already had another pair of "ice walkers" that my Mom had gotten for me because I'm not very sure-footed. So, we'll each keep one pair in the house when we need to get to the car, and one pair in the car to get anywhere else so we're prepared.


So, hopefully, these things will make the winter more bearable and help us to feel less trapped, which is the only thing I don't like about the winter. Also, I won't worry so much about my husband getting stuck in his Corolla on the way home from work.

No comments: