Friday, October 9, 2009

PDD-NOS and Obsessive Compuslive Tendencies


My son has PDD-NOS, which is on the autism spectrum, and you can read more about it in another post I wrote here.

For me, the most difficult part of PDD-NOS to deal with are the obsessive compulsive tendencies. My son hits me in the head continually, for hours, saying, "boing". This is besides his aggressive behaviors of pulling out my hair, pushing me, throwing things at me, running over my feet with toys, and trying (and unfortunately succeeding) to do these things to his one year old sister (well, she'll be one on Tuesday).


He's been home all week with the flu, and his behavior has been escalating. I wrote about it most recently here.


Today I felt like I just couldn't take it anymore, and had enough of being abused. I put both kids in their rooms and went out on the balcony and just stood out there for a very long time.


The problem with obsessive compulsive actions in children with PDD-NOS is that they enjoy them. People with OCD are bothered by their obsessions and compulsions. Not kids will PDD-NOS. They find them comforting. So, that makes it extremely difficult to stop these behaviors. That is why, no matter how many times I say no, or stop, or hands to yourself, or quiet hands, my son will not stop hitting me. It will not stop. It may never stop. This is what I have to learn to live with, and it is very hard. We will be seeing a pediatric psychiatrist, as well as a behaviorist, and I have an appointment with the psychologist at his school. For now, there's nothing I can do.


I know I have to take it one day at a time, but there are days when I imagine this being the rest of my life, and I can't imagine how I will continue this way. But I have to. He can't help it, and he needs me.


Oh, it's so difficult. It really and truly is hard.


Has anyone had any experience with this? If you have any advice, it would be most appreciated.

No comments: