Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Dentist and American Indian Festival


We had a great long weekend with my son home. We mostly stayed at home. Friday my son had a dentist appointment, and we were there for over an hour. The pediatric dentist was trying to get my son comfortable so that he would sit in the chair on his own. They took him away from me, but they had a window in the door where I peeked in often. He played with all the dental instruments and used the water/air instrument to water the plants out the window. Then I had to hold him down for the actual examination and teeth cleaning. The dentist wants me to take him there once a month to get him used to the dental office, chair, and instruments, but that would be $85 every month! I already pay privately for nutrition, occupational therapy, and feeding therapy, and I can not pay for private dental therapy too. I'm not even comfortable and happy going to the dentist's office! Sheesh. Maybe it's wrong of me to not want to spend the money, but that's a lot of money that we really don't have.

Saturday my husband was actually home from work, and he took the kids to the playground so that I could clean. I was so happy to have the time to clean, and the apartment looks better than it has in a long time. Our bedroom is still the catch-all room, and there's still much to be done, but at least it's livable, and I completely cleaned my son's room and organized it so that he could keep it clean himself...there's a place for everything, so it's easy for him to take care of his own things. Finally...I've been wanting to do that for a long time.

Sunday my cousin came up from New Jersey, and we went to Mass together and just spent the day together. We had lunch at a restaurant overlooking the Hudson River that was lovely, and my husband joined us there after work. We shopped through a really violent storm. Then that evening, another set of cousins came over to play games.

Monday we went to a Memorial Day Parade and an American Indian Festival. My son was so thrilled to see the fire engines and drums at the parade, and didn't want to leave when it was over, hoping for more. Later, we got to see many more drums at the American Indian Festival. My son LOVED it. We bought him a small deer hide drum that has only left his hands for him to go to school. He was drumming and dancing along with the Native American People during the festival. He was too cute. We were there for some inter-tribal dancing, and for Aztec dancers, who were fantastic. They are from Mexico City where the ruins of the city of Tenochtitlan are located. I learned about Tenochtitlan in Archeology class when I was in college...when I thought I might be the next Indiana Jones...the only way I'm like Indiana Jones is with my diet. You can read about that here.

I attached a picture of the Aztec Dancers...if you ever have a chance to see them perform, please go! You can visit their website here.

No comments: