Monday, May 4, 2009

Barbecue


Well, today I am going to be putting together our new barbecue. We used to have an electric barbecue when we owned our co-op on Long Island, but the fire marshall changed the rules to say that NO barbecue of ANY kind was allowed to even exist on the patio, even if it wasn't being used. They imposed a $500 fee for anyone "harboring" such an offense. So, we had to get rid of our beloved barbecue. Since we moved upstate, we've been allowed to have an electric barbecue, but just never got around to getting one until now. I'm very excited. Electric barbecues work really well, and once the grease drips down on the heating element and burns, you get a great charcoal flavor in the food. It's a beautiful thing. And, it's nice not to have to heat up the kitchen, and it's also a great way to cook healthy food...AND no pots and pans to scrub!

My very favorite thing to eat barbecued is corn. When I go to a carnival, I don't want the fried dough or anything else...I want the roasted corn. When I cook corn without a barbecue, I throw it into the oven, husk and all, and roast it. Most of the silk burns away, and I peel down the husk and use it as a handle. The very best is when the local corn comes into season...there is nothing better...not even chocolate. The first time I ever ate roasted corn in its husk was over my sister's house...as a matter of fact, my sister is the one who bought us our first electric grill.

Well, I'd better get to work! I think I'll roast an ear of corn while I'm working.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love roasted corn too. The only problem is we all want to eat it as soon as it's done and it's pretty darn hot! :-P It's hard to wait.

Nohemi Tutterrow said...

I totally agree with your love for the electric barbecue! It’s that smoky taste that comes from cooking with it that really makes electric barbecues special. I’m glad you moved to a place where you COULD use one. May I ask what brand is that? Also, is it still working great? And, do you still have it?

Kristine said...

No, we don't have it anymore. We moved to a home where we can have a charcoal barbecue. I gave it away two years ago, and it was working well then. :)