Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Aromatherapy





This post is in no way paid for or sponsored. It's just an experience I want to share.



I read some information about how aromatherapy can help children with ADHD, and at the same time I got an email from Bath and Body Works advertising a sale on spa aromatherapy items. So, I figured it was worth $8 to give it a try. I wanted to try a scent that would be relaxing and help my son fall asleep. I didn't want to get lavender because I read that it can have negative effects on males, so instead I got a black chamomile pillow spray. I've only tried it a couple of times on my son because I keep forgetting to use it. My son's bedtime routine involves complete vitamin E capsule that has to be popped and added to fish oil (that tastes like a lemon smoothie...I swear...you can read what I wrote about it here), antibiotics, a multivitamin, nasal spray, and an injection of growth hormone. Not including brushing his teeth, changing his diaper, putting on pajamas, and a bedtime story. Most of these activities require physically holding him down, chasing him, carrying him, fighting him, and it's just difficult and takes quite a bit of time.



I'm afraid to leave the bottle of pillow spray in his bedroom because it's glass, and I'm afraid he'll break it or spray it onto himself, or in his eyes or mouth, or any number of other things I can't imagine. I really need to keep it by his vitamins or something.



I have been using it myself, though. I feel pretty bad about using it for me and not for him, but I will...I promise. I have to say that using it for me has made a huge difference. I have always had trouble falling asleep, and I have been falling asleep extremely quickly. The scent is so nice and relaxing, and it really works! I'm very surprised that it works, but it does!



The second thing I bought was totally just for me. It's absolutely decadent. It's shower gel (and can also be used in the bath) that smells like oranges and ginger, and it's supposed to energize. I'm not sure if I feel energized, but it smells absolutely wonderful, it's so sudsy, and to be scrubbed from head to toe with this is blissful...it's so good I can almost tune out my daughter screaming in her bouncy seat on the other side of the shower curtain.



So, if you're ever looking for a way to fall asleep or wake up that's natural and healthy and wonderful, give these a try. I'm sure they'd make a nice gift too...it's too late for Mother's Day, but any occasion will do, and they're just fine for Father's Day too.

No comments: