Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Owl Babies













Owl Babies by Martin Waddell is my son's favorite book, and it has been since he was born. We have videos of us reading it to him days after he was born, and he was totally enthralled. We think maybe it's because his eyesight is so poor, and the pictures have a high level of contrast. However, he STILL loves the book even though his vision is corrected with glasses, and he loves the language. He can't talk, but he can recite the cadence and intonations of the book.
He's been going through a destructive phase lately, and one of the things he destroyed was his book. He ripped it into many little pieces. I was mourning the loss, as I've been trying to impress upon him that when he destroys something, you can't get it back. I make him throw away books and toys that he's broken or torn. However, I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of Owl Babies.
My wonderful, WONDERFUL Mom came over today to watch the kids while I got the opportunity to do some serious house cleaning. It felt so good to actually be able to work without many interruptions, and see a change in the house...like the appearance of the floor. Anyway, I showed her the many pieces Owl Babies was in, and she said, "You're not thinking of trying to put that back together, are you?" And I had to admit that that was exactly what was on my mind.

And, so help me, I could not resist repairing the book. I'm just missing one little piece. Oh, what a silly Mommy I am.
I remember my Mommy repairing my teddy bear over and over and over again because I loved him to death. I still have him too...he's 37 years old, and looks it. LOL Poor thing. Anyway, I just had to fix the book. Is there anything you couldn't bear for your child to part with because you know it means a lot to them, even if they are the ones who ruined it?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh we love Owl Babies too!!! Oh I would totally have taped it back together too. And you know what my answer is - I don't care what DD might do, there is no way I would ever get rid of Moocow! Not that DD would ever let anything happen to her anyway. When I was a kid I barfed on my beloved Raggedy Ann, and though my Mom soaked her and tried to clean her, she gave up and threw out my beloved doll. I have often thought back to that, and if DD ever barfs on Moocow I would find a way to get the smell out and save her. Or live with the smell! I would never throw Moocow out no matter what.

Kristine said...

I couldn't imagine losing my bear...even now I can't let go of my Ted. LOL Poor thing.
Well, I guess I made the right decision. There's a fine line between teaching discipline and just plain being mushy lovey. LOL