Monday, May 11, 2009

Socializing at the Gym

If there's something I hate, it's when people socialize at the gym. Especially when they're just sitting on the equipment. They do about sixty seconds of "cardio" involving reclining on an exercise bike and moving their legs at about one rotation per minute, and then start talking to a friend and stop moving altogether. I don't know why it should bother me if it's not a piece of equipment that I need, but what if I did? There are so many other places to talk. I guess it gives me flashbacks to when I used to work out at Bally...people sat on the equipment and talked all the time, so it would take forever to get an exercise routine done because they always made everyone wait, and gave me a dirty look if I had the audacity to ask them to let me use the equipment since they weren't using it right then.
I guess the problem is that I've started to go to the gym later. I was having trouble functioning getting up at 4:45 in the morning so that I could have a cup of coffee and leave the house by 5, get home by 5:45 so that my husband could go to the gym. So, we've decided to go to the gym on alternating days, and walk on other days or do an exercise tape. It's working out much better, although I do miss going to the gym every day. I could go later in the day, I suppose, but I'm tired by the end of the day. So long as I exercise every day, it really doesn't matter where I am.
So, as long as I keep going to the gym later in the morning, I guess I'm going to have to deal with the socializers...maybe I should request that a juice bar be set up outside so they can go there.

No comments: