Thursday, May 7, 2009

Active? Who, me?


I have started a running training program. Weight Watchers is promoting a Momentum Walk-It Challenge, and is offering a free active trainer program. You can choose walking or running. I have never been able to run. I've always run out of breath, gotten terrible pains in my lungs, and have had to stop before I could work up any endurance or intensity. Finally, my new doctor diagnosed exercise induced asthma, and I take two puffs of an inhaler before going to the gym in the morning. And I can run! My body screams in protest, my knees, shins, and hips holler in agony, but I'm so happy that I can run that I really don't care.

I've always wanted to be able to run. I couldn't even play tag when I was a kid. I failed the one mile run in gym freshman year of high school. Now I'm training for a 5K...very slowly. Right now I repeat a pattern of walking two minutes and running one minute for a total of 32 minutes. I also got new earphones for my iPod because the regular earbuds fall out when I start to sweat. I got ones for activity that hook over your ears. Me...active...how cool is that?

We also got a kid carrier for my son and I have a Bjorn for my daughter, so we'll be doing hiking when it STOPS RAINING EVERY SINGLE STINKING DAY. Maybe we'll even do some geocaching along the way! Now that it stays lighter longer, we can even go for a hike after my husband gets home from work. There are lots of hiking trails within walking distance of our apartment, so we don't need to travel far to get out and get moving.

So, this, on top of the Weight Watchers eating plan, I hope will help me to keep losing weight. I haven't weighed in in a couple of weeks, but last weigh in I lost 4 more pounds for a total of 37 pounds. I like my home scale better...that one says I lost 42 pounds. I haven't actually been to Weight Watchers in two weeks because of sick kids and a severe lack of sleep, but I will be back next Tuesday.

No comments: