Thursday, May 21, 2009

Preschool Picnic

Today was my son's school picnic. It was held at a beautiful local park that has a gorgeous view of the Hudson River. It actually wasn't just his school, but an association of all the schools of which my son's is a part...so there were many, many children and their families there.
They had a petting zoo, art stations, an obstacle course, a tee ball area, and fruit. My son did play some tee ball, but otherwise was happy to run around for three and a half hours while I followed him with my daughter on my hip. Gratefully, I did get some help when I was about ready to leave after two hours. I couldn't get my son to sit long enough to eat, to allow me to feed my daughter, or to even change diapers. He was so overstimulated. So, I was trying to drag him (literally) over the grass to the car, and one of the social workers from the school asked me if I needed some help. So, I was able to go to the bathroom myself and even feed my daughter. Then the speech therapist helped me so I could get my son calmed enough to eat, and I even had some water, yogurt, and watermelon. So, we were there for another hour and a half. The psychologist chased after my son awhile too so that I even got a few minutes to just sit and relax while my daughter ate. It was just a few minutes, but I got recharged. Everyone was exhausted after just 10 or 15 minutes of following after my son in the nearly 90 degree weather with very little shade...I must be an Amazon or something being able to do it for three hours. LOL
Anyway, thank God for SPF 70. I just got a little sunburn on my left shoulder where I missed with the sunscreen, but the kids didn't get any sunburn at all...and we are all VERY fair.
Now, goodnight because I am going to go to bed...I am worn out!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Whew! I remember those days!

dr. mom's mom said...

You are supermom. Someday you will look back at all the hard work and realize it was all worth it. Love, M