Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Bird Feeder Visitors, Poor Memory, and Tuesday Weigh In

Bird Feeder Visitors Pine Siskin
Tufted Titmouse

Downy Woodpecker

We've also had black capped chickadees, white breasted nuthatches, and dark eyed juncos. AND we had either a sharp shinned hawk or a Cooper's hawk land right on our terrace...he or she came and left too quickly for me to make a solid ID...allll of a sudden all the birdies were gone...I don't think the hawk was here for the bird food. :)

Also, I've been so frustrated lately because my memory has been awful, and I've been feeling like I'm in a fog.

I found out yesterday that my thyroid hormones are low, and a symptom of hypothyroidism is memory loss. I've had hypothyroidism for years, but symptoms can pop up if it's not being properly treated. So, my medication has been upped, and I'm hoping that this will help. I chalked it up to being unemployed and spending all day every day with people under the age of 4, but any improvement would be much appreciated.

I even wrote a whole blog about it here...http://drmomsspot.blogspot.com/2009/02/out-out.html
Lastly, as you may have guessed since I left it for last, I gained a pound again this week. I'm disgusted, but I'm hoping that with the higher thyroid meds, it will get better, since that will boost my metabolism a little bit. I'm bringing my tracker (the book I write EVERY SINGLE THING I EAT in, with measurements, weights, and point values of EVERY SINGLE THING I EAT) in to my WW leader so that she can have a look to see if there's anything else I can possibly do, since I have been following the program religiously, and only ate 8 of my 35 bonus points this week. Arghhhhh.

5 comments:

dr. mom's mom said...

I just love the pictures. So clear. Next week will be a better week. You will go down. Love, GM

Anonymous said...

Hi. Are you on Synthroid, Levoyxl or Levothyroxine?? If you are, that's why you have the weight gain and memory problem. They are terrible in the treatment of hypothyroid and doctors are not swift about it. I found this site and it changed my life: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com You should read it and this page: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/T4-only-meds-dont-work I also got the book. Wonderful.

Kristine said...

Thanks Mom!
Nancy,
I was reading about armour thyroid, and there haven't been any clinical trials, and dosing is unspecific. It's something I'll discuss with my osteopath, and might be interesting to try in the future, but since I'm nursing, I don't want to fool around with dosing. Thanks though, I never heard of this before, and it is interesting!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the gain, Kristine. I went up a pound this week too. Maybe the new meds will help you out, though...I do hope!

Anonymous said...

Kristine, if we had waited on "clinical trials" to tell us what our experience with Armour is telling, we'd all still be sick! Patients all over the world are changing to Armour and reporting feeling a lot better, in spite of doctors not getting it yet. And your Osteopath may not get it. Mine didn't. I had to change doctors twice after saw the Stop the Thyroid Madness site and then read the book. She teaches you how to find one in the book. I'm on a few internet thyroid groups, too, especially the Natural Thyroid Hormones group on Yahoo, and it's amazing. And about nursing, Armour just gives us what our own thyroid would be providing. It's not a "man-made" synthetic drug. I could go on and on. haha But my life really changed and so are others. Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. haha