Friday, March 6, 2009

My Son is STILL Sick


Well, my son was feeling better on Tuesday, but then he started not acting himself again. I finally got him to the doctor today. We were at the doctor's office a week ago, but they have to wait at least two weeks before prescribing antibiotics, because that could deter his little body from fighting off his viral infection. However, for some reason this year, every, EVERY time he gets a cold, it develops into a sinus infection and asthma. I don't know why. We don't smoke. He's never been on antibiotics before this year, and before last year, he was in daycare. So, I really don't know why. It must be the superviruses being passed around in school. He is now on Flonase for his poor little nose, and amoxycillin for his infection, and Xopenex for the asthma, which we give him through a nebulizer. He HATES getting any sort of medicine put into his mouth and he HATES the nebulizer. He has sensory issues, and a tremendous amount of sensitivity around his face, especially his mouth, and anything that we have to do in that area (even wiping his face) is a major challenge. So, it's not fun for anyone. But, it will eventually make him feel better, so it must be done. It's all part of being a parent of a kid with special needs...figuring out how to get everything done that needs to be done, how to be strong enough to force things that need to be done, and gentle enough so that it's not a traumatic experience, and having the energy to have to work twice as hard to get half as much done. Not easy. But I love him to death, so what else can I do? :D
Anyway, we needed to get him all better since my daughter is being Christened on Sunday, and my son is having minor surgery on the 19th...minor, but he will still need to be under general anaesthesia. He has been under general anaesthesia twice before, and he reacted very well with no problems, so I'm hoping the same for this time. I hate it, but again, when you have a kid with health issues, it's all part of the package.
We're all really looking forward to the Christening on Sunday. It's in the afternoon, and it's not a mass, so we'll have to go to mass the night before...there's a St. Patrick's Day parade in town that afternoon, so we'll probably do one and then the other. Hopefully, my husband will be home from work in time for the parade, but if not, then I'll be on my own...won't be the first time. :)
We're having a big party after the Christening, in a restaurant, so I just need to show up, enjoy myself, and leave. Good deal!
I'm very sorry for not posting more often, but I just haven't had the time or energy.

2 comments:

Auntie E said...

Sorry to read about your son. sometimes boosting the immune system can shorten viruses. There is a product by airborne call pixels. It is like the pixels candy. Kids love it and it works great. Hope he feels better soon.

Kristine said...

Thanks so much for the advice! The biggest problem is that he won't eat anything, and even getting him to drink anything or take liquid vitamins and supplements is extremely difficult. I know it's a great product, though...I hope one day...
He's on a total liquid diet and gets multivitamin drops, fish oil that tastes like a lemon smoothie, and I mix the contents of a complete vitamin E tablet (it has all 8 parts of the vitamin E) into that. AND he gets a shot every night, AND he's on antibiotics and a nebulizer, so I just don't want to add anything more...it's hard enough already. :(