Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Long Day

Today is going to be a long day, because I am very concerned about tomorrow, and I want to get it over with. Tomorrow my son is having surgery. It's a very minor procedure, but I don't like general anaesthesia, and he won't understand what's happening, and he's going to wake up feeling very sick and strange and have a boo boo, and he won't understand. I've tried to explain it to him, but I don't know how much he understands. I try to tell him "stories" about things that are going to happen, although his only real understanding is in the here and now. I didn't give him too many details, just that Grandma was coming, and Mommy and Daddy and Baby Sister would be there. Mommy will give him some medicine that will make him sleepy, and Mommy will stay with him until he's asleep. Then Mommy and Daddy will both be there when he wakes up. When he wakes up, he's going to feel funny, but that feeling will go away soon. He's going to have a boo boo, but Mommy will give him medicine to make him feel better. I hope it works. I've been praying a lot about it, but then I always pray a lot for my children.
I also got my son's progress report yesterday. It's a multi-page report from all the different therapists outlining his progress in the different services he receives, occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, feeding therapy, and special instruction. He is currently functioning at the level of a one to two year old in all areas, ranging from 14 to 22 months, depending upon the skill. It's so difficult to see that the older he gets, the further behind he seems to fall. He's going to be 4 next month, and he's still basically a one year old baby. It's very upsetting to read, knowing how hard he works, that he's making little progress. Then I look at him, and just see my son, a little boy, who needs a lot of love, and I give him lots of hugs and kisses, and just love him.

2 comments:

Margie and Edna said...

We'll be keeping your son (and you) in our thoughts and prayers both today and tomorrow.

Unknown said...

He will be in my prayers too, and I will be praying for you too that you will feel peace about the whole thing. Hopefully before you know it the whole thing will be over with! Love you!