Monday, April 6, 2009

Exercise, Weight Loss, and My iPod


I have made a commitment to myself to wake up every day at 5 am and go to the gym. After only seven days of doing this almost every day (I missed this Sunday), I actually have already noticed benefits. Yesterday, I carried more than fifty pounds of groceries up three flights of stairs without even getting out of breath, and today I was able to stay on the treadmill with my heart rate at 80% for twenty minutes. This time last week, to use the melodramatic phrase my husband uses, I was begging for death after only five minutes on the treadmill, with my heart rate at only 60%. So, that made me really happy. I did the treadmill and the free weights this morning, and when I left the gym, I felt really good instead of like I was dragging myself across the floor. I finally remembered to bring my iPod, too. My husband bought my an iPod Shuffle for our tenth wedding anniversary, and I LOVE IT. I don't use it often, because I need to be able to listen for my kids...but gym time is MY TIME, and I can use my iPod to my heart's delight, and I do. A little Rammstein, Radiohead, White Zombie, and Chrystal Method goes a long way.

My only problem is that my husband brought home Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies yesterday. I had more than I should have (although not as many as I used to), so I sent them into work with my husband. I know that I can not be trusted in a room alone with a box of Thin Mints.

Anyway, it's my week to gain, anyway. Without fail, since I have started, I gain one week, lose one week. So, it's my week to gain, so I won't be surprised or even disappointed, because I know next week is my week to lose. If it's a lifetime thing anyway, what difference does it make how long it takes? I'd love to wake up thin, but getting there is half the fun, right?

No comments: