Friday, January 23, 2009

Thank God for My Two Boos

Last night I saw a horribly tragic news story. A group of preschoolers were walking back from a field trip to the library. A delivery van double parked nearby to make a delivery. The driver got out, and kept the van running. He thought he had it in park, but it was actually in reverse. The van backed up onto the sidewalk, right where the children were walking. Two children were killed (one was 3 and one was 4), and one is in critical condition in a local hospital. I turned off the news immediately. I was so horrified and upset. I know these things happen, but having a child the same age made it seem worse, if that's possible. I went into my sleeping son's room, stood over his crib, and stroked his back and cried, thanking God that he was safe in his bed. I thought about how much I worry about my son, and what will happen to him, and how you never know what will happen to your children whether they are normally developing or not. I thought about the poor parents who had to stand over an empty bed that night. I was also doing laundry, and I thought, how happy I was that my son and daughter are still here for me to dress in these clothes, and I thought about the parents washing their children's clothes, knowing they would no longer need them. It took me a long time to settle down to sleep last night, and I uttered many prayers of thanksgiving to God for my two precious Boos.

No comments: