Wednesday, January 14, 2009

In the Tradition of Yogi Berra


While I was out running errands with my daughter this morning, I decided to give my Mom a call, as I do very nearly every day. She told me she would call me right back because she was just finishing a conversation with her next door neighbor. After we hung up, I realized that I hadn't told her that I wasn't home. I called her back a couple of minutes later to tell her this. She then asked me where I was, and I replied, quite sincerely, "On my cell phone." I realized how silly I sounded the second it came out of my mouth, and we had a good laugh.

I have decided to consider this an homage to Yogi Berra, who is well known for making statements that I believe didn't come out quite the way he intended. Here are some of my favorites:


If you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

It's like deja-vu, all over again.

The future ain't what it used to be.


And probably his most famous:

It ain't over till it's over.


Well, this post is over.



Caricature of Yogi Berra done by Jerry Breen, copied from his website http://www.newbreen.com/caricatures.html

No comments: