Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Technical Difficulties and the Inauguration


Well, Sunday there was an internet server outage in my area, and by the time it was up and running again on Monday afternoon, my internet still wasn't working. The fine folks at Optimum Online figured out that I had a bad ethernet cable, but I couldn't pick up a free one from their store until Tuesday because they were closed for the holiday. Then I came down with the stomach virus that's been going around. But, I'm back, hurray!

While I was standing on line waiting for my cable, I got to see the inauguration. Aretha Franklin sang, "My Country 'Tis of Thee". Then, a musical arrangement by John Williams of "Air and Simple Gifts" was played soulfully by Itzhak Perlman, (violin), Yo-Yo Ma (cello), Gabriela Montero (piano) and Anthony McGill (clarinet). Then President Obama took his oath, and made a mistake. Someone on the line said, "He must be nervous." I said, "Wouldn't you be?" And I thought, thank God he's nervous. For better or for worse, we have a new president, who I hope and pray will do his best to lead us through some of the most challenging times in the history of our country.

1 comment:

Andy/Drew/Andrew said...

As it turns out, Obama had it right and the Chief Justice (Stevens or Breyer, I forget) messed it up. Me and a coworker picked up on the stutter and the Constitution has a specific oath that must be said: from Article II, Section 1:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

If I remember correctly, the Chief Justice messed up the line and Obama picked up on it, stuttered and then the Chief Justice got it right.