Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Michael Crichton


I'm still mourning the loss of Michael Crichton. He passed away from cancer this past November. Most people know who he is. He wrote Jurassic Park, Twister, and ER. He is my favorite author. He was a brilliant man, and a brilliant weaver of stories. I can't believe I'll never be able to read another new Michael Crichton book. There are other authors who write in his style of weaving fact and fiction together creating terrifying or exciting possible realities, but nobody is quite the same. I've read all of his fiction books, except for one...State of Fear. This book has so many characters and locations, that by the third chapter I was hopelessly lost. I will definitely try again to read this book...at least it will be something new. There are also two non-fiction books of his I have yet to read...Jasper Jones, which is his exploration and comments on the works of this artist, and Electronic Life, which is about computers.

Jurassic Park is the first book I read. I remember sitting at my college job where I taught English as a Second Language, and my boss was reading this book. I found the cover interesting...a T Rex skeleton. I asked him about the book, and he said it read like a screenplay...and sure enough, soon afterwards, it became a movie, as everyone knows. I read that book in just a few hours...I walked while reading it all over campus, read it through my acting class, read it while I was supposed to be working...I very simply could not put it down. And so I was hooked on Michael Crichton's writing from that day forward. If you've never read a Michael Crichton book, please do. I enjoy the movies based on his books as well, but of course, they are no where near as exciting or detailed as the books. Best of all, I always feel as if I've learned something when I finish one of his books. He explores so many different subjects from medicine, ethics, law, history, and exploration to engineering. So, do yourself a favor, and read a Michael Crichton book. Any one will do. And say a prayer for him, his family, and all the people who are mourning the loss of this brilliant and talented man.

Here is the tribute from his web page:http://www.michaelcrichton.net/


In Memoriam

Michael Crichton

1942 - 2008

Best-selling author Michael Crichton died unexpectedly in Los Angeles Tuesday, November 4, 2008 after a courageous and private battle against cancer. While the world knew him as a great story teller that challenged our preconceived notions about the world around us -- and entertained us all while doing so -- his wife Sherri, daughter Taylor, family and friends knew Michael Crichton as a devoted husband, loving father and generous friend who inspired each of us to strive to see the wonders of our world through new eyes. He did this with a wry sense of humor that those who were privileged to know him personally will never forget. Through his books, Michael Crichton served as an inspiration to students of all ages, challenged scientists in many fields, and illuminated the mysteries of the world in a way we could all understand. He will be profoundly missed by those whose lives he touched, but he leaves behind the greatest gifts of a thirst for knowledge, the desire to understand, and the wisdom to use our minds to better our world. Michael's family respectfully asks for privacy during this difficult time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Krissy, I am trying again. I hope you get this. Let me know. Love, Dr. Mom's Mom

Yeo KeeHui said...

Nice post. Good review.