Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Honey Baked Ham


There are Honey Baked Ham stores all over the country, but there isn't one within a two hour's drive of where I live. I used to live on Long Island, and used to have my choice of two stores. Admittedly, these hams are expensive. However, they are absolutely delicious...the best part is the outside where they torch some sort of sweet mixture like brown sugar and honey into a hard glaze. As you pull apart the spiral sliced ham, pieces of this coating chip off, and when you eat them, they melt ever so delicately in your mouth. Well, I was reading their website one day trying to find a closer store (unsuccessfully), and saw that they will ship a ham. Naively, I thought that would be great. Unfortunately, and I should have been able to figure this out for myself, the coating is all melted by the time the frozen ham defrosts in the fridge, and is, for all intents and purposes, gone by the time it is served. WHAT A BUMMER!!! It did still taste quite good, but not better than something I could have made myself without a terrible amount of time or effort, and it was not worth the expense. So the new question is, is it worth a four hour round trip drive? I'll have to think about that one...

2 comments:

dr. mom's mom said...

I know for a fact that you could make any ham taste delicious. You are a great cook. dr.mom's mom

Kristine said...

Well, thank you...and to make a great Honey Baked Ham at home, for my birthday, I'd like a blowtorch. LOL Love you Mommy. :)