Sunday, January 24, 2010

Never Get Behind ANY Wheel When You've Been Drinking


There's a local radio commercial that absolutely gets under my skin. It's a lawyer talking about how ANYONE can get charged with DWI and that I should program her number into my phone right now because there are some things worth fighting for. Ugh.

NO, not anyone can get charged with DWI. You have to be driving while intoxicated in order to be charged with DWI. One of her examples is that one of her clients was charged after being pulled over for a license plate lamp that was out. So, therefore, it can happen to anyone. No, it can only happen to someone who is driving with their license plate lamp out and is driving after they've been drinking!

Anyway, my husband and I are not big drinkers at all. We have bottles of alcohol that we have literally had for years...some of them I think we've had more than ten years. When we do drink, we don't drink to get drunk. In fact, we try not to get drunk. Lately, we've been under a little more stress than usual, and last night we decided to break out a game and a bottle of wine that we've had for more than a year. It was a bottle of white zinfandel that was brought to a party last year in honor of my father who passed away in 2008 because it was one of his favorite drinks.

I drank more than my husband...I had three glasses and he had one. Three glasses of wine is more than enough to give me a serious case of the giggles...and since they were three eight ounce glasses, I really had five drinks. That would give most anyone the giggles.

We talked about that horrid lawyer, and I said that even though I was drunk, I knew I was drunk, and I wouldn't get behind the wheel. Then I thought I was just silly and I said I couldn't drive, but that I could certainly position myself behind a wheel. So my husband asked if I wanted to go behind the front wheel or the back wheel of the car. So I asked him if he'd be driving backward or forward. He said backward. So I said the front wheel. Well, wasn't I smart? Then I'd only get run over once, wouldn't I? And we laughed harder than we'd laughed in a very long time.
I think I've proven that one should never get behind ANY wheel when he or she has been drinking.

No comments: