Thursday, January 28, 2010

Nebulizer, Nebulizer, Rah, Rah, Rah!


My son gets asthma whenever he gets a cold or cough, so we give him a nebulizer treatment three times a day. A nebulizer is a device that turns a liquid medication into a vapor so that it can be breathed in. My son won't let us put a mask over his face, so we just hold the nebulizer up to his nose and mouth, and it does the trick. In order to get him to sit (well, mostly), we put on a video. I love You Tube because they have videos of things we've been to that other people have filmed and saved on there. Today we watched one of the parades we saw while we were in Disney World over the summer. He loved it.

The only problem we had today was that he got into a fit of the giggles, which caused him to cough and wheeze uncontrollably and probably limited how much medication he was getting into his lungs. I let him pretend to fill up the nebulizer with an empty medicine vial, and for some reason saying, "Put the medicine in the nebulizer" really cracked him up something fierce today (maybe it's genetic...his father thinks the horrifying scene from The Silence of the Lambs where the kidnapper tells Catherine, "Put the lotion in the basket" is funny). My son's other favorite saying is, "Nebulizer, nebulizer, rah, rah, rah!". When it's done, I let him pretend with the nebulizer. He likes to do it himself and do it to his sister. So, I let them play for a few minutes before I put it away. Whatever helps the process.

Here's the video we watched today of the parade we saw over the summer at Disney. It's Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It. It was lots of fun. I love Disney.



No comments: