Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh





This past weekend, my sister gave me a bag full of books that her boys had outgrown. In the bag of books was The Complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh. I had bought the book for her boys when they were very young and written their names inside the book. Except for the missing dustcover, the book is in pristine condition. I'm not sure if it was ever read, and it's a little sad to think that they didn't like it and wouldn't like to keep it for their children now that they are adults.

However, I absolutely love Winnie the Pooh, and I do not have the book, so I'm happy to have it. If you've never read the book, it would definitely be worth a look. I really enjoyed reading the history of the author and illustrator. I was also surprised to find that the reason why it is the complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh is because it is actually two books...Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner.
I have been reading a chapter a night to my son since Tuesday. I wasn't sure if he would sit and actually listen as it's not really a picture book, and every chapter is seven or eight pages long, which is a long time for him to sit. So, I decided I didn't care if he sat to listen, and I just read as he ran around, knowing that just because he's moving doesn't mean he's not listening. My son is just about the same age as Christopher Robin, and I add that in all the time while I'm reading. It's such a wonderful experience.

He quieted down near the end of the chapter the first day, and then after that, he sat to listen to the chapters. When I finish a chapter, he asks for more Pooh. He loves Winnie the Pooh! I'm so pleased. I've never read the book myself, so it's something wonderful that we're sharing together. My daughter is not interested yet, but I'm sure she will be some day. She loves books like my son does.

After his bedtime story, he threw a tantrum complete with head banging because he could not get his Fisher Price Little People Bus to balance on the bar at the foot of his toddler bed. I told him we'd work on it in the morning because I couldn't figure out a solution just yet...I don't think I ever will. However, this answer at least stopped the tantrum. This happens all the time. He wants things that are unusual or impossible. I'm working on handling his tantrums better, and for today, I'm doing well. It's a tall order for me, but depending on how I look at it, it can either be frustrating, or amusing.
I suppose I can learn a lesson from the relationship between Christopher Robin and Pooh; it's best to smile and say, "Silly old bear."

No comments: