Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Forces of the Universe


May the force be with you...uh, no.

My husband talks about the forces of the universe often. He's not fond of them. He thinks they're all against him. He's convinced that somehow, every person is notified of what road he's on, and everyone flocks there. Sometimes I laugh because it really seems to be true.
Other times I don't laugh because I think maybe they don't like his wife either...those forces of the universe.

Alllll I wanted today was to get to my exercise class. My car is at the mechanic's, so we only have one car. I've been driving my husband back and forth to work so I can have the car during the day. I was hoping to get to my exercise class by 9. We had everyone fed, lunches made, and got everyone out the door by 7. We got to my husband's job in 45 minutes. I got back to the exit for my son's school in half an hour. And then...

The forces of the universe unkindly intervened.

The traffic stopped. Where I live, sometimes there's only one way to get someplace. You can't take a little detour, you can't go around the block, you just have to sit on the road you're on because it's the only road you can take. There was construction ahead, and only one lane open...and it wasn't my turn to use the lane. So, I waited and waited, and almost five minutes later it was finally my turn. I thought I could still drop off my son and get to my class on time.

Ha ha ha...the forces were not done with me yet.

My son's class wasn't in the classroom. I had to look all over the building until I found them in the gym.

But

I could still make it to my class just a little bit late.

I drove down the driveway and of course, I was stopped because it wasn't my turn to go yet. Another six minutes would pass before it was finally my turn to go. By now it was much too late to get to class. Sigh. Again. So, I'll go walking or something.

I like going to the class (well, the one time I actually made it I liked going to the class) because I work out much harder than I would by myself, and it's always nice to talk to people over the age of 4.

Alas, it was not to be...the forces of the universe were against me. ;)

No comments: