Thursday, September 24, 2009

Drama!


Well, yesterday afternoon was an eventful one. After my son's nap, I took the kids to the playground with the cars (like I do just about every single day). We were there for less than a half hour when my daughter, who is usually all smiles, got very fussy. I tried to feed her, and she started to cry. I thought maybe she needed to teethe, but she didn't want anything in her mouth. She started crying harder, and I thought maybe she had a gas pain, so I walked her in the "colic position" with her tummy down on my arm and her chin cradled in my hand) and bounced her, and patted her. Soon she was screaming, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I couldn't find anything poking her, stinging her, any other boo boos, or figure out why she was crying. So, I decided to take her home to give her some Tylenol and maybe gas drops. After about five minutes in the car, she started screaming like she was in horrific pain like I've never heard her cry before, and still the crying escalated. I thought something must be seriously wrong. I've heard crying from gas, but I've never heard anything like this. It was horrifying. So, I took her to the pediatric emergency room instead, thinking maybe she ate something during a one second interval that I didn't have my eyes on her or she had some sort of something somewhere going on that was horrible. They took us in right away, and looked for all sorts of things like a hair tourniquet (kids get a hair wrapped around a finger or toe and it becomes very painful), stings, mulch splinters, something stuck in her mouth or throat, ear infection, corneal abrasion, fever, and found nothing. After awhile, she just stopped crying. We never did figure out what was wrong. Maybe it was just the mother of all gas pains. We'll probably never know. The doctor agreed that the crying was unusually intense. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

While we were there, my husband met us, and took my son outside to play. While walking down the steps, my son missed one and fell, twisting his foot. He started limping pretty badly. We all went home, and put ice on my son's foot, but he started to limp much worse, and just stand on one foot...so...

We went back to the pediatric emergency room. And guess what? Nothing was wrong. Just a twist and a bruise. Sheesh. A whole lotta drama over nothing.

I got out of cooking dinner anyway. LOL We picked up some excellent Chinese food on the way home.

Later this morning, I'm taking my son to the neurologist. I hope that he will be able to illuminate some way for me to help my son more than I am now.

I'll update my blog after we go to let you know what happened.

No comments: