Monday, September 21, 2009

Welcome Autumn! It Was a Great Day!


This is a long post because a great day deserves a longer post than a lousy day.

Today was a great day. A GREAT day. It's so nice to be able to say that today was a great day! My daughter slept all night, so I woke up refreshed and chock full of patience. I haven't been singing to my son to wake him up very often, but I did today, and he loves it. "Good morning, good morning! It's nice to see you smile! Good morning, good morning to you! Good morning, good morning, my Boo!" He always looks so handsome when I dress him for school and put spray conditioner in his hair and brush it nicely. He did slap his father in the face when my husband tried to kiss him goodbye. We're still working on the physical. I know he just doesn't want his father to leave, but we're working on right and wrong ways to express our feelings. It's a project. However, I choose not to allow that to be a blemish.

My daughter slept until 8:45...I had to wake her up. I sang to her too, and she loved it. We played, we read books, I played the flute and guitar for her, I sang some more, we played some more, and then she actually took a nap! It wasn't a long nap, but I had a nice peaceful lunch and took a shower. That's a big deal! Then it was time to get Big Brother off the bus! My daughter is always very excited when Big Brother comes home, and when she sees the bus, her little arms and legs kick and swing, and she squeals.

My son had a great day at school, and his physical therapist said that he'd "grown up" a lot over the summer. How nice to read! Then we went to the bank to deposit money (always a good thing), and I had promised my son I would wait for him because the lady in the window always gives him a blue lollipop. Then we went to our favorite place, the playground with the cars. By the time we got there, my son was properly blue and very happy. It was sunny and in the low 70's. My son behaved beautifully, and even opened up the gate for a mother coming through with a stroller...nobody asked him, he just did it. He got hugs, kisses, a high five, and lots of praise. My daughter scooted all over the mulch portion of the playground on her bottom exploring, and left a little trail where she had dragged her bottom through the mulch and exposed the soil. It was so cute. Then Daddy met us at the park, and we went out to eat at a restaurant near the railroad tracks. My son kept calling the trains saying, "Choo-choo, where are you?" How adorable. My son usually eats ketchup and nothing else. Tonight, he wanted cocktail sauce, convinced we were withholding ketchup. I tried to explain that it was hot and spicy, and not ketchup, but ketchup with horseradish. He still wanted it, so we thought, why not let him try. He put a great big spoonful into his mouth, and screamed. He took a big drink of water and then proceeded to wipe off his tongue with his napkin. My son has a great sense of humor, and laughed along with Mommy, Daddy, and Baby Sister after he had put out the fire. I hated to laugh, but I couldn't help myself, and well, we've all been there at one time or another, haven't we? What better lesson to learn than to be able to laugh at yourself?

Then we went home, and did our usual bedtime routine. My son had no nap, so he was pretty wound up. So, I sang "Beautiful Boy" by John Lennon and gave him tickle rubs. His eyes were rolling back in his head. Daddy read "Goodnight Moon", and he fell asleep right away.

Then we went on to my daughter, and we read "Goodnight Moon" to her as well. She pointed to the "two little kittens" and said, "niiiice". Nice is her word for cats. She also has started saying, "Dada", and loves to call Daddy. She's also pointing out all sorts of things wherever we go, and points to things that she wants as well. It's fantastic to watch her. Now that she's sleeping, I can really enjoy her.

And so, it's 10:45 pm, and I am off to bed with both children asleep. After doing the usual nightly hygiene activities, I will spray my pillow with my Bath and Body Works Black Chamomile aromatherapy relaxation pillow spray, put in my ear plugs (I can't hear my husband snore, but I can still hear the baby...go figure), and slip into crisp sheets next to my husband where I will be joined almost immediately by one of my cats. Then I will read a few pages from "My Life in France" by Julia Child and slip off to dreamland. Heaven.

No comments: