Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My Dad


On this day one year ago, my father had a massive stroke. He died about 18 hours later at the hospital after my Mom found him unresponsive at home. Last night I was very sad thinking about how last year, that was the last night he was alive. That was the night my parents celebrated their anniversary, because my Mom wasn't home the day before. My Mom cooked a special dinner of leg of lamb. At 7:30 this morning, I thought about how that was about the time when my Mom found my Dad, and right about now was when we got the phone call that something was seriously wrong with my Dad.
My husband was with him when he died around 3 in the morning. I'll never, ever forget that. My Dad didn't die alone. We were all sitting vigil, taking turns, ensuring that he wouldn't die alone. We didn't expect him to make it through the night. It was supposed to be my shift, but my husband didn't want me to drive in to Jamaica, Queens alone, so he went in my place. He thinks my father didn't want to die with my Mom or any of us children, and waited for him to be there to let go.
My husband sat up with me last night rubbing my back until I fell asleep. I don't think there's a more kind and loving husband in the entire world. I love him so much, and I'm so blessed to have him in my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know what to say except that I'm sad that you're feeling so sad, and we all miss your Dad so much, but I'm glad your DH takes such good care of you and is there for you. (((HUGS)))