Sunday, August 20, 2017

Vacation Bible School

Well, I missed four days!  My intention was to write every day...oh well!  :)  Moving on...I also missed last Monday's weigh-in.  I now have only 111 pounds to lose.  So, I am keeping up with my 1 pound a week weight loss.  Painfully slow, but that's the right way to do it...and not to give up, which is easy to do.
This past week my kids were in vacation Bible school (VBS), and I stayed with my son the whole time so that he was able to participate.  We all had so much fun.  The music was great, the lessons were great, and my son really enjoyed being in the kindergarten class.  It was perfect for him.  He even fit his body into one of their little driving toy cars...he couldn't get his legs in, so his lanky legs were out the side door, and he kicked himself along that way.
The church was raising money for special needs kids in Africa, so they had the three of us get up and answer questions about my son, his challenges, and how we handle them.  We were able to share about how kids should not be afraid to ask special needs kids and their parents questions so they can get to know them...that it's so much better to do that than to avoid them and be afraid.  The kids in the kindergarten class asked lots of questions...why does he look dead, why can't he talk, why can't he use crayons, why can't he keep his balance, why does he act like a little kid when he's so big... So I answered, hoping they would be able to understand...that when they want to say something, their brain sends a message to their mouth, and the words come out...Jeffrey's mouth doesn't do what his brain tells it to do.  When they want to walk, run, or pick something up, their body does what they want it to do.  Jeffrey's doesn't.  We're not exactly sure why.  Then I pointed out things the kids had in common, and after a couple of days, he was just part of the group.
We also got to share how because we love God, he will use all things for good...even the hard stuff, even the sad stuff.  Finally, we talked about my experiences with special needs kids while I was growing up and how I was just nice to them...and that people remembered that many years later.  So, just be kind.
My daughter, who is introverted and painfully shy participated in the dancing and singing on stage and even got up to tell a joke to everyone using a microphone.  She participated in a "secret mission" where she had to talk into the microphone in front of everyone too.  I am so proud of her.  Now she's letting people see how awesome and wonderful she is.
Best of all, God used this time to bring a good friend back to the church.  My son's nurse of six years has been recovering from an injury for the past year, and she's been looking for a church.  I was able to invite her to see my son ,with whom she worked all those years, dance and sing. I was also able to introduce her to all the nice folks at the church, including my aunt and uncle.  So, I hope she felt welcome and that she goes back again.  It was a lovely day.
After all that, my aunt and uncle treated us all to a delicious lunch that we ate outside with the beautiful sunshine, breeze, and a few obnoxious wasps.  :)  What a blessed week we had!

These are the songs my kids sang and danced to at the show on Friday for the last day of VBS.
God is Over the Moon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekbUe0ooep8

Sin Messed Everything Up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaNw8G0K8Lc


No comments: