Sunday, February 7, 2010

Lunch with Carole at the CIA Part 2

Last Thursday I went out to lunch with my cousin Carole from Carole's Thoughtful Spot, and you can read the first part of my post here, and Carole's posts here and here.

Once we placed our orders and paid for them, we found a table and got a high chair for my daughter. When you place your order, you get little number cards that you place in a little holder on the table so the students know where to bring your food.

A student came first with my Coke, which was in a bottle. I always order soda without ice because it takes me awhile to drink it and it gets watery when there's ice in it, and I think that's yucky. I also like to pour my soda in a glass to get some of the bubbles out. Usually, when you order a drink in a cafe, it comes in a glass, so I thought it was a little odd that the waitress just brought a bottle. Then she asked me a question that I'm so glad she asked. "I dropped the bottle. Do you want to just wait awhile to open it, or should I bring you another one?" I'm glad she asked me so that the soda didn't explode all over me, but why was this even a question?????
"I'd like a new bottle please, and may I also please have a glass?"
"Oh, you want a glass?"
"Yes, please." That's why I asked for it.... hmmmm. LOL

So in the meantime, my cousin and I talked and laughed. I'd tell you what we were laughing at, but I think it was one of those "you had to be there" moments. But we had a good laugh. My daughter was as good as can be and played happily and drank her sippy cup while my cousin and I talked. Finally, my food came. I had to wait awhile to taste it because they took even longer to bring my cousin's meal.

Then, it was time. This is what I got:

Braised Beef Short Ribs
Slow-braised beef short ribs served with sautéed Brussel sprouts, pearl onions and deep-fried potato croquettes.


Except there were baked mashed potatoes instead of the croquettes...which was A-okay!

So, first I took a bit of the mashed potatoes. There was a crunchy crust with a cheesy, mass of decadence beneath. I gave some to my daughter, but she didn't want any. ?! Then I sliced off a piece of the short ribs. I really didn't need a knife. The meat just fell apart. It melted in my mouth, mingled with the flavors of wine, salt, onion, and spices. Delicious. The pearl onions were cooked perfectly, soft but not mushy. The Brussels sprouts were also perfect, tender inside and caramelized with a bit of crunch on the outside.

It was a perfect meal. I couldn't finish the whole thing, so I asked for a to-go box to pack it up in. Since my daughter wasn't interested in anything I was eating, I took out a jar of baby food for her. She was also uninterested in this. So, we went to the default...french fries. This was a hit. She ate while she transferred the fries from their container to my to-go box and back. Unfortunately, at some point, someone took my food away, so I had no leftovers to bring home in my box. Alas.

My cousin said she'd go up and get the desserts and coffee while I stayed at the table with my daughter and watched our bags. It didn't occur to me that this meant that she would be treating me and I didn't think to say anything until she got back! So, Carole very nicely treated me to:

Praline and Caramel Gâteau
Praline mousse layered with almond cake, house-made praline, and coated in dark caramel glaze.

It looks like a little mousy, doesn't it? It's so cute! And those are 24 karat gold leaf "whiskers" on the "nose".

I also had cappuccino with a chocolate biscotti. You can't really tell, but they shape the foam on the cappuccino into an apple.

You can also see in this picture all the layers of the cake. It was very creamy, and I could taste all the different flavors. The praline in the top layer of praline mousse added a nice crunchy texture within the creaminess.
As you also tell from the picture, the dessert aroused my daughter's interest (and one of the cats scratched her hand). She swiped the chocolate curl from my gateau, and enjoyed some herself. She has a sweet tooth like her mother and her great grandfather. Later, unnoticed by me, she also stole my biscotti. Well, she needs it more than me...I'm sure it felt good on her teething gums.

So after a wonderful meal with wonderful company, I was warm and full and happy. Then my daughter began to cry. She was tired. She had been an absolute angel the whole time, and it was time to go. She was out cold almost as soon as I got her into her car seat.

If you're ever in the Hudson Valley, Hyde Park area, I highly recommend visiting the Culinary Institute of America. If you're short on time and funds, breakfast or lunch at the Apple Pie Bakery Cafe is a great choice since you don't need reservations, the food is as good as any of the fancier restaurants, and you can enjoy an entire meal for about $20.


1 comment:

Daisy said...

That is making my mouth water!