Friday, May 21, 2010

Preschool




Part of what I do at home is teach preschool for my daughter and my son when he's home. I don't do it every day, but I do it at least a couple of days per week, which is probably enough for a 19 month old. I always do it on Saturdays when both kids are home and my husband is working all day. It passes a couple of hours, and I'm sure it's good for them. They like it, anyway. Some days my son has a bad day and we never make it all the way through because I have to deal with too many tantrums, but that's all part of having a child with autism.

I taught special ed preschool during the summer between high school and college, so I learned a lot during that time. So, we do the calendar, circle time (story time and singing), the alphabet and counting, and arts and crafts, coloring, or a worksheet.

I also learned a lot while my son was receiving early intervention at home. So, I've learned a little occupational therapy, a little speech therapy, a little special education, a little feeding therapy, and a little physical therapy. So, I try to do whatever I can with the kids. I'm hoping this helps reinforce what my son is learning in school, and my daughter is learning like a sponge.

No comments: