Friday, March 5, 2010

The Geneticist Who Says Ni!



For anyone who is unfortunate enough to not know of the Knights Who Say Ni, I have embedded a couple of scenes from Monty Python and the Holy Grail with the Knights Who Say Ni. I highly suggest seeing the whole movie as it is one of the funniest movies of all time.

Yesterday I brought my son to a new geneticist. From what I've read about him, he seems excellent.

The only problem with the appointment was that throughout the entire time, all I could think of was that the doctor sounds like the head of the Knights Who Say Ni! I was certain I heard him whisper, "Ni! I say to you!" I feared that I might be forced to find a shrubbery...or worse, two...or even worse, he would ask me to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with a herring! Oh dear. Luckily, he just sent us off for blood work.

Like many doctors, he didn't have much of a bedside manner, but I'm really there for a diagnosis, so I don't care.

I really didn't learn anything new yesterday. We're going for more tests. The doctor is starting out with looking for metabolic syndromes because they can be associated with many of the problems my son has.

The results of the tests take months...most genetic tests take a long time. So, we'll see what happens. It would be nice to find some reason why my son has so many problems and to maybe get some sort of prognosis, and to be sure that there aren't any related conditions that we haven't been looking out for. We'll see.

No comments: