Sunday, March 14, 2010

Aries - The Ram


I'm not a believer in astrology, but I think it's ironic that my son is an Aries (the ram), and he head butts almost constantly. As my son's head banging has increased in both frequency and intensity, we've been investigating solutions to keep him from hurting himself and us.

We've been working with the neurologist and are looking into trying medication, and we are also working with the entire team at his school to explore behavioral modification techniques. I personally think it's going to take a combination of both, but of course the neuro thinks the meds will work and the school team is dead set against them.

The behavioral modification techniques take time, and because my son bangs his head very hard, bangs his head into glass, and bangs his head against other people, I'm not going to give it a whole lot of time out of safety concerns. I think I'll give them a month and see how it goes. Then I think I'll try the medication if we need to.

The medication the neuro prescribed is Tenex, which is a blood pressure medication. In kids with autism or ADHD, it decreases aggression, increases focus and attention, and has a calming effect. Unfortunately, it can make the kids very tired. It also can dangerously decrease blood pressure, and before it can be administered, my son has to get an EKG. So, that's a little scary. Also, it only comes in pill form, so that will be a challenge to deliver as well.

It's difficult to be judged by the school team who are clearly anti-meds, but I tried to get my point across that I don't want him to put his head through a window, and that he's already injured me, and I'm afraid he'll hurt my daughter. I don't think they get it.

I will do what I've done ever since I've had children; I will go with my gut.

No comments: