Sunday, March 21, 2010

EKG Went...Okay, I Guess


I won't get the results for a few days, but we were able to complete the test. My son was in no way cooperative. He started to tantrum while we were still registering for the test. By the time we got into the room, despite the fact that all he needed to do was sit for a few minutes with some stickers on his chest, he was screaming, kicking, and thrashing around. What may be simple for some folks is not simple for him. It was terrifying for him. The technician and my daughter were absolutely shell-shocked. I went into Mom Mode. I remembered our experience at the dentist and started giving the tech directions. I told him to get the chair at his desk and bring it over to face me. Then I told him to sit and face me in the chair, and put a pillow on his lap. I sat my son on my lap facing me, and then laid him back onto the pillow, and I held him there gently and sang to him while the tech did what he needed to do. It wasn't perfect because my son was screaming and wiggling throughout the whole test, and it lasted longer so they could get a decent reading, but we got it done with no drugs, and in one visit, so that made me happy.

That night I was in bed by 7, absolutely tuckered out.

No comments: