Saturday, August 1, 2009

Disney!


Well, we're driving to Florida to visit my husband's parents, and on one of the days, we're going to bring the kids to the Magic Kingdom.

We were thinking that we wouldn't be able to bring them because my son is still young (4), and has special needs (as you know if you read the blog regularly). However, I remember travelling to Puerto Rico when I was 3, and my nephew who also was a special needs child remembered many experiences from his early childhood.
I have been doing research, and have found a wealth of information about special accommodations for children with special needs traveling to Disney.

For example, there is a Guest Access Pass available that allows certain alternate access to different quiet waiting areas, and other services that can only be accessed by persons with special needs. So, we're excited.
We're not ones to eschew an experience just because it's challenging. We hope that by exposing our son to lots of different situations and having reasonable expectations of him that he can meet with success, we will be helping to set him up for a happy future.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - what a great opportunity for you guys! I'll be curious to hear all about how they accommodate you all. I know years ago my FIL hurt his back and was in a wheelchair when DH's family went to Disney and even years ago I've heard about how well they were treated, could go in special entrances, could go to the head of the line, etc.

Kristine said...

Yes! Hopefully it'll be at least a little while before the meltdown, and when it happens, we'll have quiet rooms we'll have access to...so, hopefully, all will be well. :)