Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Dismaying Statistic

Although my son hasn't been formally diagnosed with autism (yet), he displays pretty much all the characteristics of children with PDD-NOS, which is pervasive developmental delays not otherwise specified, which is considered to be on the "spectrum" of autism. We have a neurologist appointment in a month, and I'm hoping that he'll be formally diagnosed so that he can receive more services.
I've been reading about autism, and found a dismaying statistic. The divorce rate for parents of autistic children is 85%. Well, I've never followed the crowd, and expect to be in the other 15%. I think people give up too easily on marriage these days. However, I do think that maybe my husband and I should concentrate a little more on our relationship and work out some sort of babysitter plan, because I can see how you can become so engrossed in caring for your child that you can let everything else go, and the stress just builds and builds and builds. It is hard. It is very hard. Now that we're dealing with an additional family member and the dynamic between my son and daughter, it is even harder. There are many days when my son reduces me to tears and I think I just can't do it anymore. It is hard. Thank God I have a true partner who gives 110% of himself to help me and his children. It is hard, and I am truly blessed.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

I sincerely hope that you are in that 15%!! I have friends with a 10 year old autistic daughter.. it is very difficult, but working together as a team, and taking the time out to nurture your own relationship can only help :)