Monday, March 7, 2011

Neighbor Problems

Despite my telling my downstairs neighbors when they were moving in that my son is autistic and apologizing ahead of time for his not sleeping and his head banging, they are not understanding. I feel bad that my son is noisy, but if there were something I could do, I would have done it.

Our son's behavioral therapist suggested that we put a radio in his room to help him to sleep. Unfortunately, last night he was playing with it in the middle of the night and turned it up loud. As soon as we heard it, we turned it off. I've since removed the radio, which he's very upset about. It's not like we were having a party or it was on for a long time. It's also a little radio, not a big sound system or something, so it wasn't THAT loud.

Ugh. I just hope they don't make our lives miserable by trying to get us evicted or filing a lawsuit or calling the police or something. I wrote a letter of explanation even though it's none of their business, just to be nice. I'm trying to take the high road. I scanned a copy of the letter he wrote and the reply I wrote so I can show it to someone if I need to. I may bring it down to the office just to be proactive in case they file a complaint. One of the people who works in the office used to live in their apartment, so they know exactly what it's like to live there, and they were very kind and understanding of our situation. Not these folks.

Well, I guess we'll just pray for them.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, that beats my "neighbor note" about the garden last summer. I do like the way they spelled "curdisy" though! :-P Are there any kids' radios that have a volume limiter on it? Or perhaps wireless remote speakers, so that the radio or whatever could be in your room, and the music would just be piped into his room, at the volume of YOUR choice? They could even be mounted high where he couldn't reach them to break them...??

Erika Jean said...

Yikes! That sucks. I hated aartment and dorm living because of loud music... but like you said it is not like your having a raging party! Those people need to have a little understanding.

I was going to suggest the same thing as Carole - someting with a limit of the volume.

Rebecca said...

You know what might work? A netbook or a computer with speakers situated up high. The speakers can be controlled through the computer and your son couldn't mess with the volume. Just a thought.

I remember apartment living *shudder*. I sympathize SO much.

Angry Birds said...

Very Good Information...Thanks for sharing....

Music Event Company said...

Very Informative Article...

Buzz-meter said...

Great Article ....Nice ..Keep posting..