Tuesday, August 31, 2010

General Updates




We started working with a behavioral therapist who has provided us with picture schedules that we've been using, and this has been very helpful with transitions. My son likes to know what's going on during the day. My daughter likes them too. We have a strip on the wall by his bed where I put the pictures, and I also have flip cards so that I can bring the pictures along wherever we go so that I can prepare him for transitions while we're out too.


The therapist has also been working on getting my son to sit through a meal, and he's doing very well. He still gets up, but the length of time that he's sitting is getting longer and longer.


We're also working on getting my son to keep his seatbelt on, and he's been doing well with this too.

The head banging continues, despite all efforts to curtail it. Sigh.
Our new neighbors moved in, and they seem nice. They're also a family of four with a son and daughter who are 14 and 11...same age difference as mine. The mother is an aid in the local school system, and she works with an autistic boy. My husband's coworker calls this a "God-incidence". I like that term.


Kindergarten starts on September 8th. I like the program my son is in, and we've been to visit the outside of the school. There's a big playset that looks like a fire engine on the playground, and this was a big hit with my son. The school is a regular public school in a nearby school district, but my son will be in a self-contained class with other autistic children. There will be seven students, a teacher, two assistant teachers, and a speech therapist in the room. The program is very similar to the preschool program he just finished, and I think he will do well.
He still has diarrhea, and the doctors still can't seem to figure out why.


My daughter is talking up a storm, and her pronunciation is getting clearer. She's just too darned cute.


I'm sure I'll have more time to write when my son goes back to school. He takes up a lot of time...but it's a blessing that I have so much time to spend with my kids.


No comments: