Thursday, July 15, 2010

My Son Lost His First Tooth Today!

This is a little Sir Topham Hatt in his car...The Tooth Fairy confided in me that this was what she'd be leaving under my son's pillow tonight...
My son lost his first tooth today. My husband was the one who noticed that the tooth was loose. He said that it looked like my son's tooth was growing in sideways. I said I never noticed, and when I looked, it looked perfectly straight...hmmm...strange. So I thought, "Maybe it's loose!" When I was brushing his teeth, I was very gentle, and I did notice it moving. Then today I noticed that he had blood on his cheek. I was looking and looking for a cut, but I couldn't find anything. Then, at the same time, my husband and I said, "Tooth!" Sure enough, there was a space where one of his bottom front teeth used to be.

I spoke to him about his tooth being loose because I'm sure it hurt, and I wasn't sure if it might have frightened him. I told him that a grown-up tooth was growing in and pushing the baby tooth out, and that it was a happy thing and meant that he was growing into a big boy. We haven't found the tooth. My son probably swallowed it. We think it probably came out while he was eating an apple. I checked the apple and the floor around where he was eating the apple, but no tooth. The tooth fairy will be visiting nonetheless. I don't think he would understand money, so we requested that the tooth fairy bring a small toy. We told our son to look under his pillow in the morning to see if the tooth fairy brought him a present for losing his tooth. I'm really not sure exactly how much he understands, but I am sure that he will understand Sir Topham Hatt. :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I can remember when John was about to loose his first tooth. My wife and I have noticed some blood when we brushed his teeth. He was complaining about the pain, so we decided to look for Germantown TN dentists who can diagnose our child. We are so afraid that he might actually swallow his tooth, despite the idea of having a toy from a tooth fairy. Good thing, the dentist was so child friendly and he was able to get the baby tooth of my son.

selene said...

What did you do with your Childs lost tooth? Did you save it? Did it fall apart or desintergrate? We Preserve Baby Teeth. Preserve your childs memory for a lifetime! www.toothfairyinc.org

Randy Deaver said...

Wow! That would be a nice prize for your son. He didn't cry, right? He would probably understand a little bit of it. It is his prize for not crying. You have a great young boy.

Kristine said...

Thank you!

Calandra Janocha said...

Well, congrats on the first tooth lost! It's pretty cool that you guys gave a good explanation about why it happens. In hindsight, that's a great way to prepare him for the growth of those permanent chompers.

And that toy seems like a nice idea too. Perhaps you can use more toys from the Thomas and Friends series for the other teeth that would fall out.