Thursday, December 3, 2009

A New Pediatric Dentist


This is a picture from another pediatric dentist in Omaha, NE, Dr. Dan Streeby. This is the position our new pediatric dentist used with my son, and I thought it was wonderful.
We went to a new pediatric dentist today. Our previous pediatric dentist I did not like. Although my son is chronologically 4 and a half, developmentally, he is about 18 months old. When we last went to the dentist about six months ago, the dentist said that my son was a big boy and should come into the room by himself. This made me very nervous, firstly because I know how afraid my son is when we go to medical professionals, and secondly because I don't trust anyone, and my son can't tell me if anyone does something inappropriate to him. So, I followed them and stood diligently outside the door peeking through the little window. The dentist played with my son, having him shoot water out the window with the water shooting instrument, supposedly to have him become more comfortable. However, when the time came, after an hour or so, for my son to sit in the chair and have his teeth examined (this is the real reason we came, after all), of course, my son would not sit. The dentist tried yelling at my son to get him to sit (which of course did nothing but upset my son), and I went into the room and held him on my lap so that he could have his teeth examined and cleaned. I wish this is what we had done in the first place. The dentist explained that he wanted him to become comfortable being there, and that I should bring him in every month for a similar session. He wanted me to pay $85 per month to have my son shoot water out the window...sort of a dental therapy. I can tell you that no matter how much time he plays with the water squirter, he will be no more willing or liable to sit in that dentist chair. I decided to never go back. I will not give the name of the dentist because although he is not the right dentist for us, that doesn't mean he's necessarily a bad dentist.

I looked online at some autism sites where parents wrote about their experiences with pediatric dentists, and found a post written by a mother raving about another dentist. So, I thought I would give her a try. Her name is Anna Simonis, DDS, and she is located in Mount Kisco, NY. She was wonderful. She did something I'd never seen before. In order to examine my son, she had me sit sideways in the dentist's chair with my son on my lap, facing me. Dr. Simonis sat opposite me in the chair, and laid a pillow on her lap. So, while I was still holding my son, we gently laid his head back onto her lap, and in that manner, she examined and cleaned his teeth. He was very upset and afraid, but I sang to him, and so did Dr. Simonis. Her singing instantly calmed him. Within ten or fifteen minutes, we were done, my son had shining white teeth, not one, but FOUR Thomas the Tank Engine stickers, a new toothbrush, new toothpaste, flossers, and he didn't seem any worse for wear. I was very happy.

I will be going back. She was very gentle yet firm and got done what needed to be done without fear. So, if you have a special needs child, or any child for that matter, and you're looking for a good pediatric dentist, I would highly recommend her.

2 comments:

The Dicobs said...

Good to know...now if only my little lady would get a tooth!!!

Brandy said...

I'm autistic (21 though) and I still have somebody come with me because I'm too overloaded to figure out the paperwork; so there is no logical reason a child should have to go by themselves because they are a "big boy". Gosh, some people....

One thing that helps me is a washcloth over my eyes because the bright lights bother me a lot. (the whole thing is very sensory overloading so to eliminate the light is helpful for me)