Thursday, August 5, 2010

Kindergarten Placement

Well, we're in the midst of looking for the best placement for my son in kindergarten. He was initially placed in a program within an institution that treats the most severe cases, with many violent children with a ratio of 6:3. I didn't feel it was appropriate for him.
Then we looked into a district school with a class specifically for autistic children also with a ratio of 6:3, but there were no spaces.
I told the district that they'd have to find some other options for my son, and if they don't have any openings, then I want him to be placed into a higher ratio class with an aide.
Then we looked into another institution that is for multiply handicapped children with a ratio of 12:5. He fit in a bit better here, I wouldn't have to worry about him being injured, but the school is 45 minutes away. Also, the children are much more severely handicapped than my son. So, I'm not completely thrilled with this placement.
Then today, I got a phone call saying that they were willing to create an opening for my son in a district school in one of the classes for autistic children. I THINK that this would be ideal, as he would be in a regular school, close to home, with more opportunities to integrate with normal, ah, er, typically developing children. It would then be easier to move on to mainstreaming and inclusion.
So, we'll see.

No comments: