Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Parade!

My son actually ate a little bit of pretzel. Waiting for the parade to start. Another view.
Fire engines!
St. Patrick Himself.

My son loves parades. This is a little confusing to me because he's terrified of dogs, the vacuum, and my hair dryer because of the noise, but has no problem with sirens and drums. Go figure. However, we always have problems getting him into the bathtub, but he has no problem running straight into the ocean. I guess that's one of the reasons people think of Autism as a puzzle...
Anyway, we went to the largest St. Patrick's Day Parade in Dutchess County, and got there nice and early so that we could get a good view. The parades upstate are geared toward children. Many years ago, I seriously considered moving to the Midwest because of how different the lifestyle is, how people seem more considerate, how important community is, and how they gear community events toward children. I'm very happy to find a similar atmosphere where we live now.
Where there might be a lot of public drunkenness at other St. Patrick's Day Parades, not so at the Dutchess County parade. It is geared toward children. Children make up a large number of the marchers, and the marchers throw candy and costume jewelry to the children on the sidelines. As far as I could see, everyone was very well behaved, including my son, and it was really nice.
My son has a tendency to run away from me, so I wrote my cell phone number on his arm and told him to show someone his arm if he gets lost. I didn't want to keep him cooped up in the stroller, but I'm terrified of him getting lost because he can't speak. However, he stayed right next to me throughout the entire parade, and didn't go so far as a single step away from me. I was so proud of him.
There were lots of bands, bagpipes, drums, fire engines, floats, Clydesdales, girl scouts and boy scouts, and local businesses and radio station personalities. Even St. Patrick Himself was there, and if my camera would always work the way I wanted it to, i.e. actually take a picture when I press the button, I would have had a picture of the front of St. Patrick instead of his back. Oh well.

One of the best things that happened is that my son ate a little bit of pretzel! I always offer him whatever I'm eating, and he always says no. That day he said yes! I was so happy!
I also met a few Girl Scout Leaders who gave me information about a local boy scout leader who is particularly good with special needs kids. My son is turning five, and will be able to enter Boy Scouts, and I think it would be great for him.
So, all in all. a great day.

No comments: